Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sterilisation 'may not kill CJD'

Thank you for your prayers, because today ended up being a bright day! I wanted to remember my Grandpa on his 1yr passing so I decided to pick up my grandma and take her to his gravesite at Fort Snelling Cemetary. We had great conversations about my grandpa and my dad during the drive. This may seem wierd, but I don't think that I have grieved for my grandpa. I was volunteering in Guatemala when it all happened and then when I came home, I was consumed by my dad's situation. It felt good to keep the memory of my grandpa alive and his love so close to my heart. We said some prayers by my grandpa's gravesite and visited with him for a little bit. It was so peaceful out there and when we drove away, I felt such comfort in my heart. It was a good visit! I know my grandpa is rejoicing in heaven and I wouldn't want anything else for him right now. He is living in the utmost happiness!

Yes today was a good day for the most part, until I had to say goodbye to Buddy. I prayed about the situation so much and tried everything I could to figure out ways to keep him, but it just didn't work out. I don't have the best living situation rigt now for a dog and I'm worried about the responsibility being that this upcoming school year will probably be hectic as a new Spanish Immersion teacher. I trust that God will take care of him for me no matter where he goes so I had to let him go. I will continue to pray for Buddy and that he be loved by his owners. Please do the same.

Today was a rest day for me so I did some research about CJD. Please read this article about how CJD is basically indestructible. I guess you can't even burn it or sterilize it. That is scary! How do we protect ourselves and one another?

Sterilisation 'may not kill CJD'
A survey has found that surgical instruments still have the potential to harbour CJD even after sterilisation.
Edinburgh University found every instrument they tested was contaminated with enough protein residue to pose a potential infection risk.

The researchers tested instruments taken at random from five NHS hospital trust sterile service departments.

The study, financed by the Department of Health, appears in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

CJD is the commonest form of human prion disease
There are different types, including sporadic CJD and variant CJD, which is linked to BSE
All forms of CJD are progressive neurological disorders which are fatal and for which there is no cure
In the UK, there are between 50 and 65 deaths each year from sporadic CJD
So far, there have been more than 150 deaths from variant CJD
A study of appendix and tonsil samples suggests there could be around 12,000 people in Britain who carry vCJD
The pre-symptomatic gestation period for CJD can be from a few years to decades

CJD, a degenerative and fatal brain disease, is thought to be caused by mutated proteins called prions.

These twisted proteins are known to be able to cling to the surface of surgical instruments, and are remarkably difficult to remove by standard decontamination processes, which involve the use of detergents and super-heating.

There have been instances of patients contracting CJD from contaminated instruments during surgery.

The Edinburgh team found an average level of protein contamination of 0.2 microgrammes per square millimetre of instrument.

Unknown risk

If prions were found on so-called sterile instruments in the levels recorded in the study, that would be billions of times the dose needed to cause infection in humans.

The highest doses were found on instruments used to remove tonsils - one of the tissues known to harbour prions.

Lead researcher Professor Bob Baxter, from the University's chemistry department, said "You can never get something 100% clean, but we were surprised at how much protein there was."

Professor Baxter said measures to quarantine surgical instruments were taken if a patient was known to be at high risk of carrying CJD.

But he said that as a result of the use of contaminated blood supplies, an unknown number of people could be harbouring the disease.

"There are certainly people out there who are at risk, but we don't necessarily know who they are," he said.

The Edinburgh team has developed a more effective way to sterilise instruments, using a technique called gas plasma sterilisation.

This uses radio waves to excite the molecules of harmless gases, creating charged atoms called ions and radicals which effectively scour the surface of the instruments, breaking down traces of biological tissue and converting them to non-toxic gases.

Gas plasma sterilisation can remove prions to levels a thousand times lower than those achieved by existing methods.

Professor Baxter has recommended the widespread introduction of gas plasma cleaning to the Department of Health.

A Department of Health spokesperson said the study would be considered by an expert group.

"Although we consider the gas plasma decontamination technique interesting, it is not currently in a form that can be used in routine decontamination of surgical instruments."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/5281100.stm

Published: 2006/08/24 11:54:32 GMT

1 comment:

Jerry Atson said...

My sister was diagnosed of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD) in early last year , our doctor told us there is no permanent cure for the CJD condition, she was given medications to slow down the progress of the disease, at the initial stage it was not so bad till it progressed to the end stage were she had difficulties going about her daily functions as she constantly had difficulty speaking,mental confusion,blurred vision include, we were all totally devastated not until my daughter’s co-worker told us about a herbal formula from totalcureherbsfoundation .com which has the right herbal formula for my sister Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease , when I contact this herbal foundation through their email totalcureherbalfoundation@ gmail. com I wasn’t certain the herbal treatment will get rid of herbal disease not until she complete the treatment as instructed, she will be resuming her work next month because this herbal cure seriously reverse her condition which we never expected ,im referring this to anybody at there suffering from this condition and they have assurance about this treatments