Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dad's Progression

During my research for more information about CJD I came upon this awesome website called CJD Voice. I posted the link under informative websites to the right. The site is very intriguing and has lots of relevant information. Check it out!! The part that I liked most about the site is that it has stories written by people who have experienced this disease affecting their loved one. This story below especially hit close to home for me. As far as we noticed, my dad didn't show as many earlier symptoms as this man but he sure did have the same loving spirit while he endured the disease. I'm going to post something on this site about my dad's story. Even though it is a horrific disease, my dad showed us the glory of God's grace. After reading this story below I'm sure that you will agree that the way this disease robs one of life is so heart-wrenching. I lived through this same deterioration of my dad and the painful thoughtsof it still fill my head every day. Let's not enable this disease to inflict so much pain and suffering on more people. Please continue with your support and spreading the news!

Ps. I want to say a big Thank You to my cousin April. I've been feeling this week that the whole interest with this blog has kind of been dying down a little. I haven't heard much from people as far as comments or donations. I've decided not to have expecations with how much I raise, because I figure that it is beyond beneficial to myself and others just to know more about this scary disease. However, just when I was starting to lose hope about the effectiveness of this blog, I opened my mail and God showed me with your generous donation that He is on my side and He will surpass any and all expectations. Thank you for shining His light for me today!

PPS. Please feel free to post comments whenever you feel the need to say something. I would appreciate hearing from my readers!

Thanks and much love,
Lacy


Dad's Progression

My dad's death and our CJD experience is still very painful at times. When my dad first started getting sick he knew something was wrong and worried because the doctors couldn't diagnosis the problem. Later, he was also frustrated he couldn't control his emotions or coordination. I certainly wish we would have known about CJD earlier.

In February 1997 my dad gave me a "What if I died in the near future" talk when we were on a trip together (I'd gone with him to drive since he was so tired). It disturbed me to hear my dad talk like he thought he was going to die. I told him I wasn't even going to think about him dying--at least not for another 30 years or so. He had such insight; he knew what it would be like handling things for my mother, getting his large estate settled, and getting along in life without him.

My dad's illness was such a mystery to our family and the doctors, too. My dad had kept a daily journal ever since they got married in 1950. When he was first in the hospital and the neurologists were searching for answers, I got the current journal book and we read it to try to see if he'd written about anything specific he hadn't shared with us. Unfortunately, his journal didn't reveal anything we didn't already know; however, it was sadly interesting to read of his tiredness, frustration, emotional feelings, etc., plus see his penmanship deteriorate over time.

After six weeks in the hospital, my dad died on June 21, 1997. We figure he showed vague early signs about two years before, with the main progression beginning a year before his death. Here's the basic progression:

Spring 1995: Development of asthma, persistent cough, became tired more easily, shaking in hands when performing tasks requiring hand-eye coordination such as writing, pouring a beverage or serving food on to his plate. The doctors called these "essential tremors" and believed the asthma medication caused them.

Fall 1995: My dad's yearly medical checkup showed high levels of protein in his blood. The doctors supposed this was because his body was still trying to repair bones in his foot which were severely broken in an accident several years ago. Blood tests also suggested hepatitis but couldn't confirm it. A liver biopsy showed cirrhosis as if he'd been a drinker for years (he never drank). The unusual blood proteins levels remained higher than normal and evened-off. Nothing was done about it before other symptoms started.

Fall 1995-Winter 1996: Several mild-to-severe asthma attacks, two of which required Emergency Room trips. He retired in December 1995, but continued to work full time. Rested more to alleviate the asthma and fatigue.

Late Spring-Early Summer 1996: Continued asthma, cough and hand tremors. Fatigue, increased signs of stress, occasional memory lapses, first signs of loss of appetite and beginning weight loss.

Summer and Fall 1996: Increased fatigue, occasional change in temperament, more signs of stress, vague change in eyesight, more frequent memory lapses, loss of interest in favorite activities, continued lack of appetite and weight loss.

Late Fall 1996-Winter 1997: Severe fatigue, flu-like symptoms with violent vomiting attacks which required trips to ER, periods of dizziness and loss of balance followed each vomiting attack, more frequent bouts with abnormal temperament, eyesight problems which doctor couldn't determine, continued weight loss.

Late Winter-Spring 1997: Incredible fatigue, heightened stress level, occasional periods of blank staring, startled expressions, sensitivity to light but also inability to get enough light in a room to read. Increased dizziness and loss of balance leading to trouble walking, driving, etc. Continued weight loss with no real interest in favorite foods. On May 2, 1997 one doctor suggested Multiple Sclerosis as a possible diagnosis. Emotional outbursts, occasional childlike inappropriateness in words and actions. Hallucinations on May 7, 1997. Everything was completely out-of-character for this dignified and active man.

Entered hospital first thing Thursday morning, May 8, 1997. First suspected diagnosis was a stroke. Daily--almost hourly--decline. First small jerking seizures followed another violent vomiting attack on May 11. Continual tests daily (MRI's, CAT-scans, bone scans, blood studies--you name the test, he had it done) with "nothing wrong" on every report. Seizures and occasional blank-outs for the next few days. Increased inability to think or reason clearly. Unable to recognize family members who were always there, but usually able to recognize visitors. Seizures increased dramatically in the fourth and fifth days in the hospital, with arms and neck twisting. Refused to eat on the fifth day. Within eight days of entering the hospital my dad was mostly unresponsive, with violent all-body seizures. He had to be restrained for several days to keep from tearing out the IV's.

We first learned of CJD on Sunday, May 18, 1997. Spinal fluid was sent for testing the next week, but the sample was lost in shipping--something our doctors nor we knew for over a week. Ten days after the first spinal fluid sample was collected, another round of samples was taken and shipped.

We looked for the moments when my dad's eyes showed he knew of his surroundings and who we were. Each of us--my mother, two sisters and I--had a chance to talk to him during these brief periods. The last time I spoke to my dad when he was aware, I was able to tell him how much I respected and loved him. While we were holding hands and arms, he was able to barely speak, "I love you, too." Those were the last words my dad said to me.

Any occasional momentary consciousness ended with vomiting attack on May 28. He then continued to decline in a coma with seizures. The test results finally confirmed CJD, but it came only about 10 days before his death. From the research I did after hearing about CJD, I didn't need the lab results--he had the classic symptoms and progression of the disease.

My dad died at age 66, on June 21, 1997 at 3:12 AM. At that time I lost my father who I deeply loved, respected and trusted, also my business partner and best friend. It is a loss I will feel for the rest of my life.

I've often wondered how my family would have been affected if my dad had died of something more "normal" like a heart attack, stroke, or even in an automobile accident, rather than from such a mysterious unknown disease as CJD. In this particular case it has been indeed hard.

CJD is so cruel. I saw my dad waste away and not be able to communicate with us. He had such a sharp mind, and we assumed it would be his body that would eventually break down, but his mind would always be there. CJD attacked and killed his brain, leaving his body to slowly die.

I think back to May 2, 1997 when a doctor first suggested Multiple Sclerosis as a possible diagnosis. I was in disbelief and numb by this news. My dad tried to put it into perspective by saying MS took years to run its course. He said, "At least its a slow killer." We had no idea it was really CJD and he'd be dead in six weeks.

I hope that recounting my dad's CJD progression will help doctors who are struggling to diagnose a patient. I further hope family members of CJD victims will be aware of any early signs they may see, as well as be able to see the progression of the disease.

Don in Atlanta
LDD1222@aol.com
Source: http://hometown.aol.com/larmstr853/cjdvoice/articles7.htm#Don

5 comments:

EllieBean said...

Wow. To a "T". Except the vomiting part. Lac- I'm going to do a chain email . To see if we can get some more recognition regarding CJD.

Ellie

Lisa Spencer said...

Lacy,
Hang in there! I will continue to try and drum up support. My Dad and a friend of mine are supposed to be sending you a donation. I will send a chain email also. Have you been in touch with the CJD Foundation. They have been wonderful support!

Lisa Spencer

Unknown said...

My Dad is currently dying from CJD. He's home with us and I have to say that watching him go through this is killing me slowly

Natacia Pedreiro
South Africa

Unknown said...

Rose Weel is my name, I live in USA. I want to say to the whole world how my husband was cured of his Alzheimer’s disease. Brothers and Sisters, my husband is 78 years old. He is a retired US Army. He fought so many wars, and had encounter with so many dangerous diseases. Before he embarked on his last peace mission to Iraq they were administered injections that will enable them carry out their duties effectively. So they went to the battle field where he lost so many of his colleagues and also he was shot on his throat but bullets don’t have much effect on him. So after the battle he survived it and returned back to USA off course he was rewarded heavily by the government, and that lead to his retirement. But after his retirement, he began to behave funny like forgetting all he did in the past, and sometimes don’t recognize me his wife quickly. I took him to Military hospital, and the doctor said some king of liquid in his body is causing him so many reactions, and this is affecting his brain to cut the long story short, after much diagnoses using EEG, and also the test of PROTEIN 14-3-3 all pointing out to the fact that his brain has malfunction. So he was giving medicines but his condition was still becoming worse even while taking the medicines administered. So we went back to the military hospital, and he was finally diagnosed of Alzheimer’s disease and this the doctor said have no cure. So his conditions began to get worst by the day. I cried out for help, but the government only gave us financial support. I all the time surf the web looking for possible cure until I ran into a blog where a man named James Watt gave testimony on how his cousin was cured of CJD by an herbal doctor called Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. In his testimony he imputed the contact detail of the herbalist. So I quickly copied out the contact details of Uwadia, and I contacted him immediately and explained to him what my husband is going through. He encouraged me and promised me that surly he will cure my husband, so after all necessary arrangement was made; he prepared the herbal medicine, and shipped it to me in USA, so I followed his instructions, and gave the medicine to my husband. Behold just like a magic in my eyes my husband was responding positively to the medicine and in just less than 3 weeks I started giving him the medicine, he was very okay, and in less than 7 weeks my husband was totally curd, and as I speak to you now my husband is totally cured, and he is now very okay, and in good health. So please all here shall help me say a big thanks to Doctor Uwadia Amenifo for helping me cure my husband of his Alzheimer’s disease. Please if you need Doctor Uwadia’s contact details, here is it. Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com) and his number is (+2349052015874). God bless all.

Unknown said...

I want to say a big thanks to Doctor Andre Armstead of USA for helping me cure me of my Brain disease. Brothers and sisters, Nath Luth is my name and I live in Texas USA. Few years ago I had a car accident and my brain was affected I was rushed to the hospital the doctor did his check and said I don’t have any internal injury in my brain but just that I was emotionally fragmented and for that reason I lost memory of what happened. But sometimes I sleep at night and I see in dream how I got the accident. But when dawn if am asked how it happened, I can’t say it. It continued like that and I found myself very forgetful. Doctor gave me medicines like Diuretics, Anti-seizure drugs, Coma-inducing drugs, to some extents the drugs helped but later on it stop helping me and as a result of this, I was fully diagnosed of schizophrenia (Brain Disease). Doctor said my problem was same with a variety of brain disease like salience syndrome, Psychosis, susceptibility syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome, Lemierre syndrome, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome, vascular dementia, CJD, mad cow disease, PTSD, encephalitis, panic disorder, OCD, ADD and a lot more. So i and my family became very afraid because doctor said I would die with it. My Immediate younger brother is an ICT officer he is always on the internet. So he came home and said he read about a herbal doctor called Doctor Andre Armstead who have used his herbal medicine to cure so many people of various diseases. So he copied out the contact details of the Dr and he contacted him. He emailed him, and explained to him what I was passing through but Dr Andre promised him that he will cure me of my brain disease and I will be totally cured for life. So he made the arrangement with Dr Andre, and he prepared the herbs from Washington and shipped it to us in Texas. So I followed his instructions on how to take it and behold it worked for me just like a magic, and totally cured me of my long suffered brain disease, and today I am totally cured of my brain disease. Please if you are out there suffering from any kind of brain disease, or you know someone suffering from it, I urge you to contact Dr Andre immediately and get your cure. His contact details are (doctorandreaarmstead@gmail.com) and his phone number is +1 (617) 663-8926, Thanks.