Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blessings from afar...

The rainy weather didn't clear up until the afternoon and I knew I couldn't wait that long, because once again I had to head to the library to work on my 10 day unit plan. I was going to just take another day off, but I decided to do an hour of yoga instead to release the tension. I love yoga! I actually sweat too! Can you believe that? Anyway, it really helps you to stretch parts that you never thought imaginable. I've never been good at the whole stretching thing. I just head out for my run and as soon as I get back I hop into the shower. That is probably why my hips bug me so much.
I met my friend Michelle, who is running the marathon with me, at Run n' Fun in St. Paul. She had a 25% off coupon that she received after running Grandma's marathon, which by the way was her 11th marathon! Wowzers! All this work for one...I can't imagine doing 11. Goodness! Anyway, she helped me a lot to find new running shoes, some cool running shorts and running socks. She said to definitely wear good socks on the long runs or you will for sure get blisters. Blisters are no fun...so I purchased the spendy socks. However, I think it all came out to a good deal with the whole 25% off every item. Thank you so much Michelle for thinking of me! I'm excited to run 12 miles tomorrow in my new shoes and shorts. I'll definitely be in style!
When I got home this evening I saw that I had a letter waiting for me on the table. I didn't recognize the name nor California address, but as soon as I started reading I felt such a light from above. Abby Webb, who contacted me before about the spelling of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease for my shirt, wrote me such a moving letter. She also lost her father to CJD and by the experience she recounted to me it appears that our fathers endured the CJD with the same humility. Abby, thank you so much for your thoughtful letter. It really touched my heart. Once again, someone from far away who I have never met is giving me so much encouragement. What a blessing! I actually found your sight prior and I have to say that you are amazing! Your dad must be proud! I would like to go down that way and join you for your bike rides. I wish you the best of luck with your marathon. It is a feat, but with God and our dad's on our side we can do anything! Thank you!
After settling down and getting ready for bed, I decided to hop on the computer to update my blog. I obviously had to check my email as well. It warmed my heart once again to so that I had an email titled "lost my mom to CJD". The support that I've had with this whole thing from people who I don't even know has been so amazing to me. Nikki contacted me because she saw my posting on the CJD Foundation Website. She has been doing some awesome things for CJD and she is also raising support/awareness by participating in a traithalon. Way to go girl! She mentioned that CJD conference, which is held in Washington DC, is so insightful and beneficial. She said that there was a representative there from the CDC and FDA, but nobody from the USDA. I agree with you Nikki...imagine that! I hope to make it to the conference some day soon. That's what's difficult about being a teacher...my days off are already determined for me. Hopefully, I can make something work out. It would be so great to meet you, Abby and others that have lived through the same horrible experiece of losing someone so dear to CJD.
Anyway, I just blabbled a lot but I couldn't contain my happiness. God is so amazing! Thank you to all of you who continue to support me along the way. No matter how near or how far, I feel your love pushing me along.
-Lacy

No comments: